Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Vegera

Our hotel had recommended Vegera in town. It sits on the waterfront, near the small Agios Nikolaki.


Agios Nikolaki.


There was a nice outdoors area at the restaurant.


Spicy cheese spread and olives were presented when we sat down.


We decided to order a variety of "mezes," small plates of appetizers. The Greeks eat their large meals at lunch then have a light dinner. 

This was Fried Zucchini with Herb Yogurt Sauce--€6. Remember that my favorite fast food is fried zucchini from Carl's Junior? I thought this would be larger chunks of zucchini with a nice coating, just like the ones I like. These were thinly sliced and were slightly greasy. I was disappointed. The yogurt sauce was delicious though--the Greek yogurt was so rich and thick.


Fried Anchovies--€7. I was disappointed with this dish as well. One of my favorite memories from a trip to Croatia was tiny fish, crisply fried. These were much larger and I had to pull out the spine. Apparently, the Greeks eat the spine but I thought it was too big to eat.


Grilled Octopus--€10. This was a nice dish but it was a small portion.


Sauteed Myconian Sausage Deglazed with Lemon--€7. The sausages had a nice spicy flavor and were lean. I liked them.

We did have 2 glasses of Greek wine--an Assyrtiko for €7 and an Alpha Estate Sauvignon Blanc for €9. I liked the Alpha Estate better--it had more intense flavor. These turned out to be the most expensive wines we had the entire trip. In fact, the whole meal turned out to be the most expensive of our whole trip. I guess it was good that we went here first, before we knew any better.



2015 05 25

No comments:

Post a Comment