Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2019

Pike Place Chowder

Pike Place Chowder has won many awards for their chowder. It's located at 1530 Post Alley, just a few doors down from Rachel's Ginger Beer.


They open at 11 am and by 11:05, the line was out the door and down the alley. The line did move fast and we waited 30 minutes even though we started just outside the Rachel' Ginger Beer door.


They offer a sampler of four 5-oz chowders of your choice for $14.95 or eight for $27.95. It comes with sourdough bread. We chose:

1) New England Clam Chowder--"meaty clams flavored with bacon, cream and a secret blend of herbs and spices." This was my favorite. Thick, creamy, not pasty, potatoes diced perfectly and cooked all the way through and nice sherry flavor. I would've like a little more bacon flavor but overall, I liked it.

2) Smoked Salmon Chowder--"authentic Pacific Northwest flavors, with nova smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese." This was my husband's favorite but I thought they didn't have enough smoked salmon flavor.

3) Crab & Oyster Chowder--"perfect balance of crabmeat and oysters, with a hint of spicy, earthy chorizo sausage, flavored with leeks, potatoes, tomatoes and special seasonings." This is very oystery and not in a good way. The oyster and chorizo overpowered the crab and I couldn't even tell there was crab in it. I didn't think it was a "perfect balance." I't would've been better just as an oyster chowder.

4) Market Chowder--aka chowder of the day. It was a Cajun Shrimp and Corn Chowder on the day of our visit. I thought this was okay. The shrimp was spicy but I didn't find much corn in my bowl.


You order at the counter and your order is filled within a few minutes. Grab utensils, oyster crackers and extra bread (the scooped out inside of bread bowls) then find a seat. Don't grab a seat until you get your food. If everyone followed the rules, it worked out well. We didn't have trouble getting a seat.


You can also get an 8-oz bowl for $7.75, 12-oz bowl for $8.75, 16-oz bowl for $10.75 and 32-oz bowl for $19.25. Bread bowls are $12.95. They also have salads and seafood rolls--shrimp, crab or lobster at MP (market price).


Was it worth it? I would say it's worth a 30-minute wait but I wouldn't wait longer. Let me know what you think.



2019 03 16

No comments:

Post a Comment