Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

Vik's Chaat

I had heard a lot about Vik's Chaat for a long time. We finally got a chance to try it this weekend. Some of the dishes we had were fabulous while other's were just so-so.

 
Vik's is located at 2390 4th Street in Berkeley. You walk through a small Indian grocery store and the restaurant is located in back.

 
There is also a display with lots of sweets.

 
I had yelped Vik's and read some of the reviews. I chose Bhatura Cholle ($6.00), a puffy bread that deflates when you break into it. This was amazing. First of all, it's huge (I estimated 12" diameter). Break off a piece, dip the bread into the pickles (located under the bread) and then into the garbanzo bean sauce. So tasty!

 
Keema Samosa--$5.75 for 2. It's filled with well-spiced ground lamb and was juicy and delicious.

 
Lamb Baida Roti--$6.50. This was a bread filled with lamb. It was okay but I preferred the flavors of the Keema Samosa.

 
Shami Kebab--$6.50. Three lamb & lentil patties served over rice. I didn't care for this one. The texture was too mushy and not enough flavor. Plus, I don't like peas and carrots in my rice. Actually, I don't like peas and carrots in general but I ate it in the lamb samosa because it was so flavorful.

 
Chicken Biryani--$6.25. This was moist with large pieces of chicken but they should remove the cardamon pods. It's nasty to bite into one. I prefer the chicken biryani at Taste Buds (see posting on July 25). The flavor is better.

 
Mango Lassi--$2.25. This got rave reviews on Yelp but my husband didn't like it. I liked the mango flavor but I'm not a big fan of lassi and even the mango wasn't enough to make me like it.
 
 

2012 08 25

No comments:

Post a Comment