Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2019

United Basic Economy & MSY

Have you heard that once you fly business, you can't go back. I'm living proof that it is possible--painful but possible! On our trip to New Orleans, I flew United Basic Economy. Welcome to cattle car and being treated as a second class citizen.
  • You can bring only one "personal bag"--17 x 10 x 9 inches--no weight limit though. No additional purse. 
  • You get your seat assignment when you check in. From SFO to MSY, we got middle seats in a row in the back of the plane and the last row (right next to the bathroom) from MSY to SFO. Did you know the last row has absolutely NO recline? 
  • You can't get your boarding pass until you get to the airport--and only after the staff verifies your bag size. 
  • You are assigned Group 5--the last to board. Because I have Silver Status on Singapore, I got to board in Group 2--it gave me a little dignity back. Plus, I was allowed to bring a purse in addition to my "personal bag."
  • You get credited only 50% of the miles on Mileage Plus. No miles credited if you use another Star Alliance frequent flier program.



The seats weren't as cramped as I thought they would be. I had a good 3 inches between my knees and the seat back. That's my personal bag. I was able to pack for a 4-day trip, including a laptop, in that little bag.

We were given earphones for use with the in-flight entertainment. You get live Direct TV and it included 6 movies. You can also download the United App and watch movies on the app.

I was surprised we were given a snack (Stroopwafel, Bischoff cookies or pretzels) and 2 drinks.

Flight time from SFO to MSY was 3 1/2 hours and the time passed quickly. I think this is the limit of what I can tolerate in Basic Economy. If the flight is any longer, I'll have to suck it up and pay for an Economy ticket so I can choose a more comfortable seat.


At MSY, the Car Rental location is a short walk from the main terminal. Follow the signs.

We rented from Alamo and it was quick to process the paperwork. 

Gas is so cheap in New Orleans--$2.01/gallon at Costco.



2019 10 19

No comments:

Post a Comment