Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

America's Cup

I know nothing about sailing but my husband is an avid sailor. He's done 2 transatlantic solo sails. He wanted to see the America's Cup races so down to San Francisco we went.

 
America's Cup Park is a free public access park located at Pier 27/29.

 
It's a nice open area with inflatable beds & bean bag chairs. There's a large-screen tv, games, Ping-Pong table and shops/food vendors. The only downside is the lack of shade.
 
 
The other America's Cup venue is located at the America's Cup Village at Marina Green. There's a great view of Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and the racing. The America's Cup is on display for limited times for the next 2 months. Apparently, the Cup travels in its own First Class seat. I guess you wouldn't want to lose it in the baggage hold of the plane.

 
We saw the Louis Vuitton Cup race between Emirates Team New Zealand and Italy's Luna Rossa. Emirates lost its jib halfway into the race. They simply cut the jib and went on to win by 2 minutes 19 seconds. It was impressive to watch how fast they travel and even more impressive when the boats were actually gliding over the water.
  
 
After the racing, they had a trivia contest. I was lucky enough to have my number drawn. My husband refused to go in my place so I had to get up on the stage and make a fool of myself. I didn't know when the next America's Cup was scheduled (does anyone even know?) or how old Spithill was when he won the America's Cup. It didn't matter because they still gave me a baseball cap signed by the Artemis Skipper Iain Percy & Helmsman Nathan Outteridge.
 
 
 
2013 07 21
 

No comments:

Post a Comment