Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2015

Banana Cream Pie

I love banana cream pies but have never attempted to make one. I found a recipe by Emeril and modified it after reading the reviews. Here's my version:


Banana Cream Pie
(Adapted from Emeril Lagasse)

Graham Cracker Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I had Keebler's at home but I prefer Honey Maid)
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Add melted butter and stir until mixed. Pour into tart pan and press down.


Filling:
3 egg yolks
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 cup cream

1 cup cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

3 ripe bananas

In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, cornstarch, and 1 cup cream. Whisk to blend well. Set aside. 

Combine 1 cup cream, sugar, and vanilla in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk to dissolve the sugar and bring to a gentle boil. Continue gentle boil for another 7 minutes. 

Slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolk mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking constantly. Return the egg yolk mixture to the hot cream pan and whisk at low heat until it thickens, about 5 minutes. 

Cut the bananas and lay into bottom of tart. Pour filling over it and smooth. Cool in refrigerator.

If desired, make a meringue topping with the 3 egg whites. Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Spoon over pie and broil until meringue is brown.

I thought the cream was too sweet. Next time, I'll use 3/4 cup. There weren't enough bananas so next time, I'll use 5 bananas.



2015 05 18

No comments:

Post a Comment