Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Mushroom Foraging

My husband has always wanted to go mushroom foraging. I found this Mushroom Foraging and Tasting Experience offered at the University of California Hopland Research and Extension Center. It was inexpensive at just $20/person. The event was held on a Saturday afternoon from 1-4 pm.


It started with a lecture about the basics of mushrooms.


Then we went for a hike for a little over an hour through the oak forest in search of mushrooms.


We found a Death Cap--one of the deadliest mushrooms around. It looked so innocuous.


Coccora--a snow-capped mushroom. It's edible with an eggy flavor.


Boletus, which is edible although for some, it may cause GI distress. I'm not sure I would eat something that turns blue when you scratch it.


The event included a wine tasting


and food pairing.

It was a fun afternoon but I am not going to eat a mushroom I find in the woods, even if an "expert" tells me it's okay. It's way too dangerous.



2014 11 15

No comments:

Post a Comment