Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Baguette Tradition

Back to Paris...

One of the best things about being in Paris was getting a baguette. I did not know there was a difference in baguettes until I started to research for this trip. I discovered the baguette "tradition"--a baguette that is mixed, hand-formed and made on the premise. It contains only 4 ingredients--flour, salt, water and levain. The crust is crisp but doesn't flake and the interior is slightly yellow, full of holes and chewy. I'll never be able to eat a baguette ordinaire again. Watch this video for a better explanation:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntrp7i5CrfA

Every year, the Grand Prix de la Baguette de Tradition Francaise de la Ville de Paris chooses the winner of the best baguette in Paris. The winner gets to supply the President of France with baguettes for an entire year. For the 2nd year, the winner in 2014 was Antonio Teixeria but it's located in the 14th arrondissement--too far for me to go get a baguette. The 2nd place was a tie between Au Petit Versailles du Marais at 27 rue Francois Miron in the 4th arrondissement and Le Montmartoise at 43 rue de Clignancourt in the 18th arrondissement. The 4th arrondissement was close to where we were and I went in search of the boulangerie.





The window of the boulangeries boasts its win. To tell you the truth, I really couldn't tell the difference between theirs and any other baguette tradition I had picked up elsewhere. They're all great!



2013 02 04

No comments:

Post a Comment