Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Izaka-Ya Restaurant

I am always in search of Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki. Okonomiyaki translates into "what you like, grilled" and is a Japanese savory dish filled with cabbage; pork, chicken or seafood; and a pancake mixture. This is topped with Bonito flakes and a sauce typically made of mayonnaise. It may not sound very appetizing but trust me, it's delicious! Hiroshima style starts with a layer of the pancake mixture and then ingredients are separately fried and layered on top. One of the layers consists of noodles--love it.

I read that Izaka-Ya near Japantown in San Jose served okonomiyaki and I had to try it out.

 

 
Saba Shioyaki (grilled mackerel)--$8.25. Moist, firm fish with a nice side salad. I loved the miso dressing on the salad.
 

 
Yellowtail Kama (grilled yellowtail cheek)--$11.25. The fish cheek is always a  prized delicacy and this one did not disappoint. The cheek was very tender.

 
Yakinasu (grilled eggplant)--$4.75. Half an eggplant, grilled to perfection and topped with a rich soyu glaze.

 
Ohitashi (cooked spinach)--$4.75. It was served room temperature. I liked the flavors, especially with the shaved bonito but some pieces had dirt.

 
Agedashi Tofu (fried tofu in sauce)--$5.75. I love agedashi tofu and this one is perfectly soft inside with a nice crust and the sauce is delicious.

 
Ume Onigiri (rice ball with plum paste)--$5.25. The plum paste is sweet and salty at the same time, an acquired taste. A little expensive for just rice and a little plum paste though. Sake Onigiri (salmon rice bll)--$5.25. This reminded me of my trip to Japan. Before boarding the bullet trains, we would purchase these rice balls to eat during the ride. The yellow disks are pickled daikon.

 
Okonomiyaki--$10.75. This was filled with octopus and was very tasty--I am a huge octopus fan. The bonito flakes and pickled ginger on top add to the flavor. It was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, just the way okonomiyaki should be. But, this was Osaka style and not my beloved Hiroshima style. I'll have to keep searching.

Overall, it was a good experience. I'll be back!



2012 07 15

No comments:

Post a Comment