Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

Tofu House

Finally made it to SGD Tofu House in Santa Clara. I had read good reviews about this place and wanted to compare it to my favorite Kong Tofu in Cupertino.


SGD Tofu House is located at 3450 El Camino Real. It's in a strip mall near Lawrence Expressway.
 
 
We arrived at 12:30pm on a Saturday afternoon. There was a short line but we were seated within 10 minutes. This was not a fancy place and there were tennis balls on the legs of the chairs. We placed our order and the side dishes arrived. The pink stuff is kim chee in water--not much flavor. Tasted just like cabbage in water, as if it had not been pickled long enough. To the right of it was a pickled vegetable dish--not bad. At least it had more pickled flavoring. The chap chae had a powdery texture. I'm not sure what the orange stuff was--possibly daikon. The sprouts were okay. The smaller orange stuff was squid.

 
Kim Chee--typical but it tasted good with the purple rice. I ate so much rice with the kim chee that I had to ask for an extra bowl of rice.

 
Seafood Soft Tofu for $9.93. I ordered it mild because I don't like my food so spicy that I can't taste it. Mild was too mild though. There were 3 shrimp in shells, 2 gigantic mussels (they were too large and didn't add much to the flavor of the shrimp and clam) and a lot of clam pieces. There were definitely more clams here than in the dish at Kong Tofu. The bowl was smaller here and overall I liked the flavor at Kong better.

 
Assorted Mushroom Soft Tofu. I preferred the seafood flavor of the other soup.

 
BBQ pork for $11.09. This was a huge dish. Three of us shared this along with 2 bowls of soft tofu and there was still meat to take home. The pork was very flavorful--slightly sweet and grilled perfectly. This was my favorite until we saw the puddle of grease in the bottom of the plate.



2012 09 22


1 comment:

  1. Sorry it did not fare well for you- next time- if there is a next time- try medium spicy- I usually get Kimchee tofu - and my hubby gets the mandoo tofu (the one with dumpling) - I would love to try some of these places with you- the bistro sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete