Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gumbo

After our trip to New Orleans, I had to make my own gumbo.
 
 
Make the roux in a heavy pot. Stir constantly until it is a dark chocolate color. The darker the roux, the more flavorful the gumbo.

 
 

Gumbo

½ cup oil
½ cup flour
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
6 cups chicken stock
4 bay leaves
1 Tbs chopped garlic
Creole seasoning to taste
Shredded chicken
1 lb Andouille sausage, sliced
1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
File
Cooked rice

Make roux by combining oil and flour and stirring over medium heat until dark chocolate in color.  Add onion, celery and pepper and sauté until limp. Add chicken broth, bay leaves, garlic, seasoning, chicken and sausage. Bring to boil then simmer over low heat for 2 hours. In last 10 minutes, add the shrimp. Thicken with file, as needed.

Add spoonful of rice to gumbo.


2 comments:

  1. As a gulf coast foodie - If I may make a couple of suggestions. 1) i use lots of different "fats" for my roux, but never olive oil for a dark roux. I prefer bacon drippings, but also use canola or peanut for really dark roux. 2) I would not add the shrimp until just before service - cooking them for 2 hours is too long.
    Glad to have found your blog - I love reading about food and dining! Laizzes Le Bon Temps Rouler

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I updated the recipe with your recommendatons.

    ReplyDelete