Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Upgrading

I had booked a Polar Inside cabin for $1847 per person for the 6 night journey north from Bergen to Kirkenes. I booked on Black Friday and got 5% off the rack rate. If I could have booked on the European site, I could have saved 20%.


We were on Deck 3.


The cabin was tiny. I thought Royal Caribbean had small cabins but these were even smaller. If one person was at the closet, the other had difficulty getting into the bathroom. There was no TV.


The bathroom didn't have much storage area.


I asked at Reception if there were any other cabins available. The only cabins available were Expedition Suites but they were occupied by the CEO for 2 nights so we would only have it for 4 nights. The upgrade would be NOK6000 for the suite for 4 nights. I thought that was a great deal--$350/person for the upgrade vs nearly 3 times the cost if I had booked the suite at the onset. Of course, you take a chance that no upgrades are available but we lucked out.


We went from the bowels of the ship to luxury. The cabin had a seating area and a TV that swiveled. It also had 2 picture windows. We didn't have to fight for a seat in the Explorer Lounge and could just watch the scenery from our cabin. We were on the port side and I was afraid we would only see open sea but we had great views of the islands.


There was a bottle of welcome champagne in the cabin.


King-sized bed.


It got even better. We also got a welcome gift with 2 bathrobes, 2 pairs of slippers, a fleece blanket, a pair of binoculars and a toiletry kit. I couldn't believe there was actually a pair of binoculars in the gift box.


The closet and storage area was similar to the one in the Inside cabin but it was plenty for us. We travel with only a roll-on or a backpack.



2016 05 22

No comments:

Post a Comment