Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2019

Maxwell Food Centre

Maxwell Food Centre is located across the street from the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. We were excited to try our first Hawker center, especially since it houses a Michelin recognized stall.




It's a covered center with lots of different stalls. There are 2 main halls so be sure to check out all the stalls before making your decision.


The most famous stall in the center is the Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice stall. It earned a Bib Gourmand award from Michelin.


Anthony Bourdain even gave it his approval.


I mush say I was disappointed. There wasn't much flavor to the rice. The chicken was just okay and the portion was small. The brown sauce on top of the chicken was meh. A large chicken & rice was S$7.80 ($5.75)--more than twice what other stalls charged.


Just a few stalls down is Ah Tai.


I liked Ah Tai's chicken better. It was more tender than Tian Tian's. I got a "set" which included soup and vegetable for S$5 ($3.70).


A 3rd chicken & rice place in Maxwell Food Centre is Heng Heng.


I liked the chicken here as well and the sauce was more tasty although I have to admit I like Nong's Khao Man Gai in Portland better. S$5 for a large.


Be sure to order a freshly pressed sugar cane juice--S$1.50 ($1.10)


I heard good things about Marina South Delicious Food but I was disappointed.


Fried Kway Teow--large for S$5 ($3.70). This was too sweet and there was not enough flavor.


Crispy Carrot Cake (white)--S$3 ($2.20) for small. The lady in front of me ordered this so I thought I would give it a try. I asked for it spicy but they must not have heard me because this was bland. Despite it's name, it has no carrots in it. It was fried turnip cake and egg. Not much flavor to it.


Woong Kee Beancurd.


Bean Curd with Ginger Syrup--2.50. This was disappointing. The bean curd was gray and tasted very bean curdy. I much prefer the one we had in Hong Kong.


My husband also got a chicken curry but I didn't catch where he got it. He liked it thought.

There were only 3 of us and we tried a lot. Overall, we were disappointed by our first food experience in Singapore. It better improve.



2019 01 13

No comments:

Post a Comment