Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Italian Autostrada and Autogrills

We arrived in Venice and picked up a rental car at the airport. Our destination for the first night was Trieste, 146 km and 1 1/2 hours away. We hopped on the Autostrada, the Italian highway system. It's a toll road and cost €10.90 for the Venice to Trieste leg. 

I had read about Autogrill, roadside restaurants on the Autostrada, that were supposed to be fantastic. 
http://www.saveur.com/article/blog/a-day-of-autogrills-eating-through-italys-rest-stops
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/driving/autogrill.htm

There was a Ristop, another chain of restaurants, about 25 minutes outside Venice but I held out for an Autogrill, which we found 5 minutes later.


This Autogrill had a self-serve restaurant, a deli counter and a store selling specialty grocery items.  They also had free bathrooms.


We picked up a tray and bypassed the salads and cold items and stepped up to the hot food station. It was 8 pm and the pickings were slim. My husband ordered a maxicotoletto di pollo (chicken cutlet)--€8.90 and rosemary potatoes--€3.90. The chicken was tender but I thought a little pricey. The potatoes were delicious and reasonably priced.


I ordered the linguine with clams and mussels--€6.90. I think this would have been better if it was freshly prepared but when I stepped up to the counter, this was already in the pan so I got the leftover. The pasta was past al dente so I was disappointed.

Surprisingly, you could purchase individual servings of wine at the Autogrill. Hopefully, they're for the passengers and not the drivers.


Later on in the trip, we saw an Autogrill that spanned the highway. We weren't ready to eat then but maybe we'll try it on another trip.



2016 09 03

No comments:

Post a Comment