Search This Blog

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Beaune Market Day

Beaune's Market Day is on Saturdays. It winds its way through town, starting near the Hotel Athanor and goes all the way to the Hotel Dieu. There are over 150 stalls selling food, clothes,  household items and antiques.


Clothes, household items and antiques are sold at the edges of the market. We stepped outside our hotel and found the market.


The food stalls are centered near Place de la Halle.


Burgundy is known for Bresse chicken, the only chicken in the world with it's own AOC designation.  The meat is flavorful and tender. I didn't think I'd be able to tell the difference but there really is a difference. In order to earn the AOC designation, there are specifics on how much land each chicken roams and what it can be fed. Bresse chicken is about 3 times more expensive than a regular chicken--25 for a rotisserie Bresse chicken.


Bull sausage for c each. The sausages in France are amazing. It's too bad you can't bring them back to the states.


Olive stall selling all kinds of cured olives. I was surprised at how expensive they were compared to other items in the market.


There was a long line in front of the goat cheese purveyor. I have a rule when I travel. If there's a line in front of a food stall, I get in line. Sometimes, I don't know what I'm getting but I've never been disappointed by a food line.


Beautiful and tasty figs--€3.80/kg.



2015 09 26

No comments:

Post a Comment